Blending bliss n bleak in blithers

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Mood Kaapi....

I am one great personification of mercurial interests on the face of this earth...My interests shift between poems, technology, books based on time...even in books I oscillate from Relativity to Robin Cook...

Having said that my latest pick is carnatic music although I should admit music has been my one greatest love throughout....Carnatic music as opposed to common notion is a delight to learn...It has so much intricacies in it that you might be overwhelmed at times or worse demotivated....However it is arguably one of the best schools of music...

Coming to the topic under study...I was listening to Mood Kaapi orchestration by Illayaraaja yesterday and obviously I was very much heaved into it...Kaapi is a raaga derived from the Melakartha raaga called Karaharapriya...The whole family of raagas branched out from Karaharapriya are very expressive and has that emotional touch...

The signature of the raaga is S R2 M1 P N3 S.. S N2 D2 N2 P M1 G2 R2 S...In Raaja's composition I hit across a particular alaap of swaras which goes something like R R G R M G R G G M G M G R...I found this not right as according to the signature of this raaga, G should not follow R and M after G...However considering the novice I am in carnatic music I am not sure if my judgement is right...I doubt if Raaja has diverted from the raaga which is not unusual in film music or is the pattern right....Any inputs will be greatly appreciated....

No comments: